Define "large scale distributed system" and give 12 examples.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 15:00:46 -0800

Perhaps calling what we release "products" is judicious, and perhaps
it isn't judicious, but I figured you wanted this press release for
archival purposes, especially the line:

> the first to merge the distributed object and web object models into
> one unified package!

:) Adam

> [...]
> <http://www.infospheres.caltech.edu/>.
>
> Numerous improvements have been made in this version including example
> djinns that are applets, beans, and servlets and more. Only two bugs
> were discovered in the final candidate release, and this system has
> now been used to build nearly a dozen large scale distributed systems.
> Not only is the new version JDK 1.1 compliant (but for info.net), it
> requires JDK 1.1 because many of our new classes are serializable.
>
> As in the previous release, this version is available in UNIX,
> Windows, and Macintosh distribution formats.
>
> Questions and comments on the new release will be greatly appreciated
> - bug reports should be sent to "info-bugs@cs.caltech.edu", while
> general comments and questions should be sent to
> "infospheres@cs.caltech.edu".
>

> Thank you for your interest in our work! Look for the second version
> of the Infospheres Infrastrcture, II-2, at the end of the third
> quarter: the first dynamic emergent distributed system in Java _and_
> the first to merge the distributed object and web object models into
> one unified package!
>

> Also, look for other products from the Infospheres Team in the next
> quarter including:
>
> o UberNet - the most powerful and configurable message-passing system
> available for Java! Dynamically compose Java Beans that are protocol
> stack elements - and the receiver automatically builds the correct
> protocol stack on the receiving side - even if they don't have the
> code!
>
> o JPP, the Java Pre-Processor - checks code standard's conformance,
> inserts run-time checks of formal method specifications and more!
>
> o ODLP, the Object Description Language Parser - an extension to IBM's
> Object Constraint Language the gives a designer and/or developer the
> power to specify semantics of objects from the attribute to the
> system-wide level!
>
> o XML Introspection - An XML distributed introspection package that
> puts the power of semantic introspection (when coupled with ODL)
> anywhere, from on the Web to on the Wire!
>
> o and more!
>

> Thanks again for your interest in our work!
>
> - The Infospheres Team
>
> -----
> Note: You are on this mailing list because, while downloading one of
> the previous releases, or in discussions with Infospheres team
> members, you expressed interest in hearing about new releases and
> events that relate to our group's work. If you do not wish to be a
> member of this mailing list, please email
> infospheres-interest-owner@cs.caltech.edu, and we'll remove you from
> the list. The public archive of this list is available at
> <http://www.infospheres.caltech.edu/mailing_lists/info/index.html>.
> --
> Joseph R. Kiniry A1 F9 C5 8C B3 43 54 20 FA 20 63 80 53 C3 6D 85
> California Institute of Technology ID 78860581 ICQ 4344804

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

HTTP is still the COBOL of transport protocols.
-- Joe Kiniry