RE: For Rohit

Jim Whitehead (ejw@ICS.uci.edu)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 12:23:47 -0800

On Friday, February 06, 1998 9:40 AM, CobraBoy [SMTP:tbyars@earthlink.net]
wrote:
> miss this?
>
> > On this date in... 1978
> > (6th-7th): A monster blizzard gave
> > Boston, Massachusetts, its greatest modern day snowfall of
> > 27.1 inches. Thousands of cars on the interstates were covered
> > to windshield height and over 2100 homes in Massachusetts
> > were destroyed. Snowfall of 38 inches was recorded in
> > Woonsocket, Rhode Island, with 36 inches in Walpole,
> > Massachusetts, and 26 inches in Riverhead, Long Island, New York.

Boy, I still have vivid memories of this snowstorm. I was in fifth or
sixth grade at the time, and my entire existence revolved around building
snow castles and forts. This storm was awesome, since it dumped tons of
snow, creating 5-8 foot tall snow banks along the roads *and* it caused
school to be out for a week, creating plenty of time to build snow forts.

I also remember our back yard having one windblown patch with no snow at
all, and a drift that was 6' high along one of our fences. The cars in our
driveway were truly covered to their roofs with snow.

Truly the most incredible snowstorm I've ever experienced. Wimpy
California rainstorms don't even come close.

- Jim