Re: [Fwd: Gates ReDefines the meaning of DNS...]

CobraBoy (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 08:22:33 -0800

At 5:28 AM -0800 2/6/98, Jay Thomas wrote:

> Since no one else has forked this, and I'm not sure how many of you
> aren't on the IETF list.....
>
> Einar Stefferud wrote:
> >
> > It seems to me that someone at MS might want to say a few words to
> > Bill Gates about how this shows at least one of two things:
> >
> > 1. That Bill is is not well informed about the Internet, especially
> > after the last two years of hell that we have gone through; or
> >
> > 2. He appears to not give a damn about prior use of Acronyms of great
> > significance in his main target market;-)...
> >
> > Question: Will the Internet need to get a usage license for our long
> > exisiting Domain Name System when MS Trademarks "DNS"? I am reminded
> > of all those "Bob" jokes of old...
> >
> > I hope that this is a useful channel with which to reach MS people
> > who care;-)...
> >
> > Cheers...\Stef

*** Sen. Hatch wary of Microsoft domination of Internet

Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Orrin Hatch said that if
Microsoft Corp takes over the Internet, it runs the risk of being
overseen by a federal "Internet Commerce Commission." Hatch, R-Utah,
said in remarks prepared for delivery to the Progress and Freedom
Foundation that the possibility of a Microsoft takeover of the
Internet can be prevented if vigorous antitrust enforcement preserves
competition on the Internet. "It seems far better to have antitrust
enforcement today than heavy-handed regulation of the Internet
tomorrow," Hatch said. See
http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2552752463-495

--

Ignore that man behind the curtain . . .

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>