Re: It's not called a mouse for nothing...

Ron Resnick (resnick@interlog.com)
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 16:31:05 -0500 (EST)

At 07:14 PM 11/1/96 -0800, you wrote:
>Tuesday October 29 1:49 PM EDT
>
>Computer Scientist Dr. Alan Kay Is Named Disney Fellow, Vp Of
>R&D
>
>BURBANK, Calif., Oct. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- Personal computer expert and noted
>scientist Dr. Alan Kay has
>joined The Walt Disney Co as a Disney Fellow and vice president of research
>and development.

<snip>

Neat. Disney is clearly amassing quite a staff of Big Name software types.
Stan Lippman is there too, apparently.

Now why do you suppose an "entertainment" company suddenly has such
an interest in leading edge software? Could this be yet one more instance
of the blur between medium and message? This is getting fun to watch -
Microsoft wants to be a big Hollywood entertainment company,
and Disney wants to be the next Microsoft.

How do I know about Lippman being at Disney?
Well, I got the following email from him a
couple of weeks ago, sent to the COOTS Program Committee. He's
got an amusing response to some kafuffle about Bjarne Stroustrup being
the invited speaker. For the record, the consensus in the Committee
was unanimous that Stroustrup be the speaker, and to let him speak
on whatever the hell he likes.

Ron.