Re: Time Cover Story: Winner Take All.

CobraBoy (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 04:58:14 -0700

At 02:11 AM 9/11/96 PDT, I Find Karma wrote:

>An epic battle is taking place between Microsoft and Netscape. Each
>company wants to be your guide to the Internet, the key to personal
>computing in the future. The victor could earn untold billions; the
>loser could die.
>
>WINNER TAKE ALL
>
>JOSHUA COOPER RAMO
>
>War belongs to the province of business competition, which is also the
>conflict of human interests. --Karl Von Clausewitz

>Gates had been at the center late into the previous evening--an
>eight-cheeseburger night,

Ah-ha!!!! That is all there is to it. Just wait for the massive heart
attack and thats it.

> Microsoft's
>operating systems, first DOS in 1980 and then Windows 10 years later,

Haw sad is that statement?

>The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he
>does not lose. --Henry Kissinger
>

>That sort of direct challenge to their business is the stimulus
>Microsoft employees love best. In just six months, Gates has refocused
>the work force onto Net-related projects, mercilessly eliminated a dozen
>others that were Holy Grails a year ago, and geared up an
>Internet-content group that will spend tens of millions of dollars this
>year. He has even withdrawn $1.5 billion in R.-and-D. money from a $6
>billion cash stockpile Microsoft has tucked away against the sort of
>rainy business days they aren't used to seeing in Redmond.

Mercilessly eliminating? What was Ms working on? They have no core
technology. Wait I know, Video For Windows Pro. Advanced Encarta.
Cinemannia ++

>Keep the forces concentrated in an overpowering mass. --Clausewitz
>

>The results were phenomenal. Microsoft critics, who had bet that
>Explorer 3.0 would be no more than too-little, too-late Internet
>technology, were silenced by the program's sheer undeniable quality. The
>browser's slick interface drew on Microsoft's years of consumer-products
>research. And though there were flaws--it has several prominent security
>holes, and no Macintosh version is in sight--3.0 had brightly colored,
>easy-to-use buttons, was cleverly designed and ran smoothly with Windows
>95. In short, the thing looked like a high-grade consumer product.

What was the first thing that I said? Slick Interface. Never mind that it
re-writes essential .DLL's in your OS.

>The shift in attitudes was immediate. The day Explorer 3.0 hit the
>streets, Netizens began to create an approving buzz. And from around the
>Net, where Netscape had long trumpeted its 85% market share, word began
>to leak back that Microsoft browsers were accounting for 30%, then 40%
>and by last week 60% of the hits on some servers.

??? Would that be internal access to MSNBC? What bullshit.

>And beginning this Christmas, Web surfers will be able to boot up
>Explorer 4.0. Though the software for the program is still in its infant
>stage in Redmond, TIME got a sneak preview. The new browser is fully
>integrated with the computer desktop. Users will turn on their computers
>and be presented not with an ungainly collection of files and folders
>but with a lush desktop that includes the latest news, instant access to
>content from across the Web, and a specialized version of the browser
>that looks at both local files and data from around the Web. Explorer
>4.0, when it ships, will complete the unification of the computer and
>the Web. It will also make Explorer 3.0, the hot technology of the
>moment, obsolete.

Well we all know now that David not only sucks, but swallows too.

--

** History 101** Hiroshima 45 - Chernobyl 86 - Windows 95 ============================================= "The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste, and what that means is, I don't mean that in a small way I mean that in a big way. I have a problem with the fact that they just make really third rate products."

Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds, PBS Documentary