Re: FW: power hit stories... (fwd)

CobraBoy (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Mon, 09 Sep 1996 08:58:28 -0700

At 08:40 AM 9/9/96 -0700, Dan Kohn wrote:
>[Great story. It sure is hard to engineer things correctly. - dan *]
>
>>>Moral:
>>>
>>>If there are multiple grades of power available, make *darn* sure that
>>>nothing plugged into the highest grade depends on anything plugged
>>>into a lower grade..
>>>
>>> - Bill

In the same league, Digital Domain the FX house here in L.A. was rendering
effects for True Lies and Vampire Lesat when the Chatsworth earthquake hit.
They had (I said had) the best UPS currently available, one that according
to the manufacture was used at NORAD. They built it into the wall, since of
course it was bulletproof.

They didn't figure on the building being lifted up and dropped a few feet
however. Result, no power, no SGI's.

The vendor flew down from Oregon and remarked that it was a remarkable test
and in the future they would consider improvements to the design.

Down time? 48 hrs.

Tim

--

** History 101** Hiroshima 45 - Chernobyl 86 - Windows 95 ============================================= "The only problem with Microsoft is they just have no taste, they have absolutely no taste, and what that means is, I don't mean that in a small way I mean that in a big way. I have a problem with the fact that they just make really third rate products."

Steve Jobs, Triumph of the Nerds, PBS Documentary