Re: Mac Attack

From: Robert Harley (Robert.Harley@inria.fr)
Date: Tue Feb 06 2001 - 05:59:59 PST

Greg Bolcer wrote:
>[...] who would know why I would want to do that. 8-)

I'll pass. But on the topic of AirPort, check out this:

  http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2681947,00.html

Hackers poised to land at wireless AirPort

A group of respected security researchers has found vulnerabilities in one
of the most popular data-networking technologies that could expose
corporate computer networks to eavesdropping and unauthorized access.

[...]

"We found a number of ways to intercept transmissions and discover
what the contents are," [...]
"We found ways to modify transmissions as they're sent. And we found
ways to access the network even if it's restricted."

[...]

"During the design process, the crypto community wasn't invited to
participate,"

[...]

"From a taxi driving by you could gain access to their network,"

[...]

The latest vulnerabilities also point to human error in the
design. "Some of the mistakes they made are howlers," said Steven
Bellovin, a security researcher at AT&T.

[...]

Doh!

Rob.
     .-. Robert.Harley@polytechnique.org .-.