Re: What's Wrong With Content Protection

From: Dave Long (dl@silcom.com)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2001 - 07:38:45 PST

> Huh? I'd think the richest millionaires of 1900
> *could* buy cars ...

I suddenly remembered a translation of the
Iliad (Graves'?) which had everyone zooming
about in their cars, and thought that, at
least linguistically, maybe the bronze age
millionaires could have been buying cars
as well.

According to Merriam-Webster, 14th century
millionaires could buy cars, and by verbing
a noun, 16th c. ones could park[vt] them.
<http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=car>

Webster's 1913 at www.dict.org gives more
examples, but a more exhaustive list is
given by Patrick Kano:
<http://www.millville.org/Workshops_f/kess_mech/Kess_Auto/FuInject/car.html>
(links are frobbed. s/car/carsection[123]/ to follow links)

-Dave