Re: fleet week: just-in-time nuclear electricity?

From: Chuck Murcko (chuck@topsail.org)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2001 - 23:54:02 PST

Yes, large amounts of energy confined in small volumes have interesting results when they go too nonlinear. 8^) The standard design for handling magnet faults once the confinement magnets get superconducting is to dump the stored energy into a brine pond of some acres in size. 8^)

Chuck

On Friday, January 26, 2001, at 05:41 PM, Tony Finch wrote:

> Chuck Murcko <chuck@topsail.org> wrote:
> >
> >I used to work on magnetic confinement fusion - RF heating
>
> Cool. When I was reading about the JET a few years ago I was seriously
> impressed, especially by stories of the whole several-hundred-tonne
> assembly bouncing when plasma containment failed...
>
> Tony.
> --
> f.a.n.finch fanf@covalent.net dot@dotat.at
> "And remember my friend, future events such
> as these will affect you in the future."

Chuck Murcko
Topsail Group
http://www.topsail.org/