Re: fleet week: just-in-time nuclear electricity?

From: Bill Humphries (bill@whump.com)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 13:22:48 PST

At 6:33 PM -0800 1/22/01, Gordon Mohr wrote:
>If this would work, I'd suggest tethering a sub in the Berkeley
>marina, for optimal irony generation.

Alameda's the right place for carriers to moor. Subs used to dock
at Concord.

They already have a nuke in Berkeley, at the school of engineering.

One of the reasons America's commericial nukes get a deservedly bad
rap is that every one of them is a one-off design. So it's hard to
share knowledge and fixes (and consequently why the industry is
close knit.)

If we had gone with a tightly standardized program like Rickover's or
Electricity de France, I think they'd have less problems gaining acceptance.

I don't know transmission well, so not sure if tying the shipboard generators
output into the grid hits the same constraint as importing power.

-- whump (a radioactive green)