Re: Interview with David Wetherell of CMGI

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 08:18:53 PST

Dave Winer wrote:

> Bill if you or someone else can document it, let's get the word out. Are
> there links to websites that tell the Open Text or Univ of Arizona story?
> Dave

Lexis-Nexis was indexing tons of things from multiple 'databases' for years. I
worked there from 1991-1994. Of course we, as developers, were unable to drag
them into the Internet world. They could have been THE search engine: In 1991
they were indexing 3+ terabytes of data nightly.

Classical 'Innovators Dilemma': they wouldn't canabalize their legal industry
income (up to $35/search) for cheap or free web services.

sdw

--
OptimaLogic - Finding Optimal Solutions     Web/Crypto/OO/Unix/Comm/Video/DBMS
sdw@lig.net   Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st