Re: fleet week: just-in-time nuclear electricity?

From: Tom Whore (tomwhore@inetarena.com)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 07:33:55 PST

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Gordon Mohr wrote:

--]Anyone here know enough about naval nuclear reactors to say whether parking
--]a few subs and aircraft carriers in the bay and cabling them to the local
--]power grid could save silicon valley from rolling blackouts?
--]
--]Just wondering.
--]
--]If this would work, I'd suggest tethering a sub in the Berkeley
--]marina, for optimal irony generation.

Isnt that area a Nuke Free Zone, so that laws set down by the people in
the throws of anti nuke furvor would disallow this option:)- Yep, you
could hang a Berkley, Darkened By Irony sign on the place.

NPR had an interesting story on the whole probelm yestermorning. Seems
there have been minimal power plants built over the years of growth due to
regulations communities not wanting big ugly power plants in thier
backyard. Gas was the answer. To which I guese you can now simply fill up
on bad boarder mexicale food and toot yourself out of the crisis.

The question of the whys and wherefores of this cali energy crunch echo up
here in Oregon. With talk of undoing some of the power producing damns the
line of power supply versus oregons growth seems wavering if not truly
bent.

One solution is a cool two fer one special which i offer up to cali and
oregon minds alike.

The health craze, The power shortage two great tastes that go great
togther. Hook power cables up to the excercises bikes and tread mills of
all the health clubs on the west coast. First you would charge for the
usage of the machines, second you can seel off the energy produced and
third you health care costs would drop over time.

Hey thats a three fer. Color me greenspan.

Pump UP For Power folks.

      /"\ [---=== WSMF ----http://wsmf.doesntexist.com===---]
      \ /
       X ASCII Ribbon Campaign