Re: Windows 2000 Server Delivers Five Nines?

From: Ka-Ping Yee (ping@lfw.org)
Date: Sat Jan 13 2001 - 06:58:36 PST

On Sat, 13 Jan 2001, Adam Rifkin wrote:

> > Building on "Outstanding" Availability Out of the Box
> >
> > For the majority of usage scenarios, 99.99 percent uptime is adequate,
> > as this equals less than one hour of downtime per year. The Aberdeen
> > Group found that Windows 2000 Servers delivered 99.95 percent uptime
> > right out of the box,

Perhaps one should note that 99.95% uptime means down 1/2000th of the
time. If it takes, say, 3 minutes to reboot a Windows machine, that
means i can expect it to crash about once every 2000*3 min = 6000 min =
100 h = about 4 days.

I don't want a server that crashes every four days "right out of the box".

Uptimes should be measured in years.

-- ?!ng