Virtuoso: Buzzword 2.0 compliant!

From: Rohit Khare (Rohit@KnowNow.com)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 21:41:20 PST

[More acronyms than a case of Alpha-Bits! No, Lorin, not Altsys', but
rather OpenLink Software's. I dare anyone to identify who actually
needs to buy the product. Nor who was brilliant enough to brand
something this multifaceted so blandly... Rohit]

>Virtuoso 2.01 is the first CROSS PLATFORM E-business integration
>server to implement Web, File, and Database server functionality
>alongside Native XML Storage, and Universal Data Access Middleware
>as a single server solution.
>
>It includes support for key Internet, Web, and Data Access standards
>such as: XML, XPATH, XSL-T, SOAP, WebDAV, SMTP, SQL-92, ODBC, JDBC,
>and OLE-DB.

[ The graphics are too precious:
http://www.openlinksw.com/virtuoso/new/images/varch1.jpg ]

  What is Virtuoso?

Virtuoso is a cross platform eBusiness Integration Server that
provides critical eBusiness infrastructure by implementing the
following industry standard protocols in a single product: XML,
XPATH, XSL-T, SOAP, WebDAV, SMTP, POP3, NNTP, SQL, ODBC, JDBC, and
OLE-DB.Its extensive protocol support provides you with Web, File,
Database, Mail, News/Discussion, Search, Replication, and SOAP server
functionality.

  Why Do I Need Virtuoso?

Because knowledge is power or competitive advantage (depending on how
you choose to exploit it). All Knowledge comes from Information, and
Information is produced from Data.

The Internet is reducing the cost of accessing Information, thereby
increasing the appetite and rates at which Information is produced
and consumed. Unfortunately data required for the production of
Information simply does not reside within one database engine within
your organization. Whether you know it or not it is highly probable
that the quest for critical information within your organization
actually requires traversing several data sources served by numerous
database engines from different database vendors.

Virtuoso simply reduces the cost of bringing together data from
different data sources with the view to accelerating the production
of information by your Query Tools, Web & Internet Application
Development Environments, Traditional Application Development Tools,
and Desktop Productivity Tools. Virtuoso enables you compete
effectively in the Information Age.