Re: books on programming

From: Tony Finch (dot@dotat.at)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 14:21:46 PST

Koen Holtman <koen@hep.caltech.edu> wrote:

>To get back somewhat to the original topic, volume 2 of the v7 Unix
>Programmer's Manual was one of the books on programming that influenced me
>most. It was the first competently written description of a large
>software system that I ever read. The clarity of the writing impressed me
>even more than the things written about. Ever since I have been convinced
>that Real Programmers *DO* Write Documentation.

Indeed, and when you read about how the requirement for a high-quality
manual affected the quality of the software ("We can't put that in the
manual! It's shit!") it becomes even more true :-)

Tony.

--
f.a.n.finch    fanf@covalent.net    dot@dotat.at
" ``Well, let's go down and find out who's grave it is.''