RE: Baen (not Bean!) Books give away somes tastes.

From: Meltsner, Kenneth (Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com)
Date: Wed Jan 10 2001 - 08:57:00 PST

Jim Baen has always been on the bleeding edge by SF publishing standards -- he runs a successful imprint (targeted at LCD tastes, for the most part) from the wilds of Riverdale NY, instead of from the more civilized, publisher-friendly canyons of Manhattan. By all accounts, he deals with authors consistently and doesn't attempt to screw over the ignorant, although he doesn't like agents (who are usually needed to protect eager authors from themselves...).

And if anyone would be comfortable with the paradox of trying to make money by giving away content, he would. His SF tends to glorify "masculine" things like the military and combat and many have a conservative or libertarian slant, but he publishes a number of books by strongly feminist authors with strikingly powerful women as protagonists. And hidden among the usual juvenile male power fantasies are books that question traditional gender roles and assumptions -- apparently, not as a political statement, but because the author can also tell a good story.

Interesting guy, and if you had asked me which SF publisher would be willing to do this first, Jim Baen would have been at the top of the list. You'll know it's a trend that will continue if Tom Doherty -- publisher of Tor and Forge books, which are among the most intelligent and well-written (and edited) in the field, and who often has the sharpest business sense in publishing -- picks it up next.

Ken