[NYT] Slowdown at Home Spells Risks Abroad for Bush.

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 16:10:30 PST

"The sharp slowdown here alarmed the Fed so much..." Huh? Wasn't the
Fed all but forcing this slam-on-the-breaks with six quick interest rate
hikes? Can an economist among us please tell me why they had to slam on
the breaks so quickly anyhow.

Clinton has gotta be the luckiest President we've ever had. He's
probably going to go down in history as the man who presided over the
country during a period of unprecedented peacetime expansion in between
twin Bush recessions. How's that trade deficit treating us? Miserably...

> Slowdown at Home Spells Risks Abroad for Bush
> http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/07/business/07CONT.html
>
> January 7, 2001
>
> By DAVID E. SANGER
>
> WASHINGTON, Jan. 6 The last time the Federal Reserve was forced to
> cut interest rates in a hurry -- in October 1998 -- it was to protect
> the United States from a fast-spreading currency crisis in Russia,
> after more than a year of economic turmoil in Asia. It was called
> the "contagion effect," and the strategy was to stop it before it
> infected a booming American economy that had become the predominant
> force for growth around the world.
>
> Little more than two years later there is now fear of a different
> kind of contagion effect, this one radiating from the United
> States. The sharp slowdown here alarmed the Fed so much that it
> took the highly unusual step on Wednesday of acting between
> scheduled meetings, slashing short-term interest rates by a half a
> percentage point.
>
> And what is already clear is that the faltering American economy
> is not just a domestic problem for the Fed chairman, Alan
> Greenspan, and for President-elect George W. Bush when he takes
> over the White House in two weeks. In the last few days it has also
> become evident that it could rank among Mr. Bush's early
> international troubles, along with the violence and fragile
> negotiations in the Middle East, a difficult relationship with
> Russia, collapsing sanctions on Iraq and lingering questions about
> the nature of Washington's engagement with China.
>
> For nearly seven years, the United States has so dominated the
> world economy that other nations have come to depend, more than
> ever, on constantly rising demand from the United States for
> products of all kinds. America's role as the main engine of global
> growth has been all the more vital because the world's
> second-largest economy, Japan, has been stagnant for nearly a
> decade -- and now appears headed into yet another recession.
>
> Suddenly, officials around the world are afraid that as America's
> engine sputters, they could become the first to suffer. "There is
> no safety net," one senior Japanese official said Friday from
> Tokyo. During the Asian crisis, he noted, it was the United States
> that sucked in manufactured goods from around the world, helping
> stabilize the world economy.
>
> That is unlikely in 2001, and Mr. Bush may discover, as Mr.
> Clinton did time and again -- from Mexico City and Jakarta to Tokyo
> and Moscow -- that as financial troubles spin around the world,
> diplomatic troubles follow.
>
> Mr. Greenspan, by all accounts, was far more worried about
> problems at home than problems elsewhere when he sprang his
> interest rate cut on the world's markets. But he was a central
> player in each of the global financial crises of the last decade,
> and understands better than most in Washington how a more tightly
> [...]

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

To better understand how accounting affects takeover deals, consider the often-cited example of America Online's acquisition of Netscape Communications in 1998. That deal was done under the pooling method, so AOL did not have to reflect the premium it paid for Netscape in its earnings. That was true even though, while AOL paid $10.2 billion in stock for Netscape, Netscape's net assets were worth only $700 million, giving the deal a huge $9.5 billion premium. If AOL had used purchase accounting for the transaction, it would have been required to deduct $9.5 billion from its bottom line, a move that could have bankrupted the online service. Instead, AOL went on to report record earnings and growth. Had AOL acquired Netscape under the accounting board's proposed change, the results would have been vastly different -- even under the compromise. By almost all measures, Netscape's value has become severely impaired since AOL bought it. How impaired would be a subjective call.