Re: [Geeks] Neo-Tech III -- Controlling Bicameral Minds of People

From: Nick Seidenman (nicks@argate.net)
Date: Thu Jan 04 2001 - 18:37:17 PST

Sounds like an offshoot of Julian Jaymes. (The Origins of Consciousness
in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind). His thesis is that prior to the
development of higher (density) connections between the two hemispheres of
the brain, people "hallucinated" deities or deceased relatives (in some
cultures one and the same) speaking to them. This was really nothing more
than one hemisphere "talking" to the other. Interesting book.

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

> (Someone mentioned the bicameral mind recently and I decided I needed an
> update.)
>
> The Julian Jaynes Society's page is here:
> http://julianjaynessociety.tripod.com/
>
> But I find the wackiest exposition to be the holly-rollers-commercial style of
> Neo Tech. I ran across an early version of Neo Tech many years ago, tried to
> find it for a friend, and it just popped up. Hence I'm including the page
> here for posterity.
>
> http://www.neo-tech.com/discovery/nt3.html
>
> I don't buy into either version completely, but they do make some interesting
> points. If you take consciousness to mean something more finely defined such
> as 'fully self-aware and independant consciousness' it makes a bit more
> sense. In any case, the point that most people more or less do what is
> expected of them by various authorities rings very true.
>
> I also found some interesting references to AI projects using these ideas to
> build consciousness infrastructure. Does anyone have pointers to interesting
> live projects? (AI is my long term interest; building my fortune for a
> research lab now... ;-) I'm waiting for a good AI bubble to come along.)
>

> sdw
> --
> sdw@lig.net sdw@insta.com swilliams@Jabber.com
> Stephen D. Williams Insta, Inc./Jabber.Com, Inc./CCI http://sdw.st
> 43392 Wayside Cir,Ashburn,VA 20147-4622 703-724-0118W 703-995-0407Fax Dec2000

 Nick Seidenman, CISSP | "Self pity can make one weep; so
 Senior Security Consultant | can onions." -- Jerry Fodor
 Hyperon, Inc. |
 www.hyperon.com |