Re: Most 200{0,1} prescient SciFi author?

From: Stephen D. Williams (sdw@lig.net)
Date: Sun Dec 31 2000 - 11:21:01 PST

Not an hour later I find Arthur C. Clarke's "2001 Science Fiction Calendar" in
'USA Weekend' newspaper insert which lists one author I should have remembered
and another that I should know more about but don't: Jules Verne and Hugo
Gernsback, respectively.

His quotes:

"In 1928, Jules Verne was borne in France. His brilliant prophetic concepts
in '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1870)' included electric clocks, stoves,
generators, motors and lights, and the discovery of the South Pole (although
he put it underwater)."

"The Father of Science Fiction, Hugo Gernsback, was born in 1884. His 1925
classic, 'Ralph 124C 41+', set in 2660, is a font of predictive science.
Among the things he foretold: TV, transcontinental air service, wireless power
transmission, synthetic foods, films with sound, automatic sliding doors, tape
recorders."

We'll need another category for recent era advanced prognostication such as
those below.

sdw