Re: Know anyone at a major portal? Care to help Am I Hot or Not?

From: Tony Berkman (tberkman@rcn.com)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 09:11:55 PST

James,

         When the portal is a bigger brand than you, a "partnership"
typically consists of you paying them a whole lot of money for them to
feature your content. If you are trying to make money from your novel
site, I would try to think of a creative way to charge people money for
something (perhaps a calender featuring the 10 hottest) rather than trying
to leverage your existing traffic with partnerships that you pay for. Keep
in mind that there is no longer any value in eyeballs as companies are
having a heck of a difficult time selling ad inventory and many
high-profile sites that were top-10 at one time or another in overall
traffic have shut down because they were only generating a couple million
per year in revenue. The nice thing about your site from a money-making
perspective is that is costs so very little to maintain. Think about how
you might create a little (non-advertising supported) business first and
then, perhaps, consider who might benefit from the business....

Just my $0.02

- Tony