Re: Total SOAP services available on the Net as of 12/29/2000: 17.

From: James Tauber (jtauber@jtauber.com)
Date: Sat Dec 30 2000 - 04:48:37 PST

> I think next year xmethods.net will see some fantastic growth in the
> number of SOAP services available on the Web.
>
> For now, there are just seventeen, according to http://www.xmethods.net/ :

But it must be born in mind that there are many web services (many of which
use SOAP) that are not listed simply because they aren't public.

In 1999, Bowstreet started a catalog of web services on the net. Our initial
focus was, like xmethods, on publicly available web services. However, we
found that almost all our customers and partners were interested, not in
publicly available web services, but web services offered only to *their*
customers and partners. In many of our Fortune 100 customers, business units
are providing web services for consumption only by other business units.

So our focus for the last year has been on these intranet and extranet web
services. That's not to say there won't be a fantastic growth in the number
of SOAP services publicly available, but the overall number will be
considerably larger.

(the other) James

PS James, if your mission is to catalyze and evangelize Web Services, we
should definitely be talking.