RE: IBM 76.8Gb ultra dma/100 hard drive at Fry's for $375...

From: Meltsner, Kenneth (Kenneth.Meltsner@ca.com)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 12:30:18 PST

Gosh! 2 cents per MB vs 0.5 -- the NAS box did throw in an embedded computer, a case, a bit of software, etc. Still, it's likely that 20K$/terabyte will be 10K$ in a few months.

I had an acquaintance once that saved every one of his mail messages. At the time, I thought it was ridiculous that he was keeping over 10 MB worth of email. These days, I think my inbox is > 10 MB.

And I think we're already at the point where you can simply cache (forever) every Web page, every graphic, etc. that you view, if only browsers could index n GB caches.

It might be a good idea to do this at the departmental proxy level, for example. We made this argument as part of a proposal for Web-based engineering databases. It made a lot of sense to keep track of the Web pages that supplied the data for a mechanical component. With a little bit of effort, we figured we could even track down the users of data that was superceded by later data or standards.

Ken