[ZDNet] Microsoft quietly invades the p2p space

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Tue Dec 26 2000 - 18:36:05 PST

David Stutz, now I know why you're a "FoRK". :)

  http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2668492,00.html

Why do I have the feeling it's going to be a lot harder for us to fly
under the radar in 2001 than it was in 2000?

If they're offered the right way, Passport plus UPnP plus SOAP are all a
Windows dev needs to build the kind of rich interactive apps that this
year have been pigeonholed as "p2p", especially with the kind of Windows
UI glue on the front end that made Microsoft so successful...

> Peer Pressure
> By Todd Spangler, Interactive Week
> December 26, 2000 8:57 AM ET
>
> Peer-to-peer networking - in which a client computer functions as both a
> client and a server - has been heralded as the most powerful and
> interesting technology to hit the Internet since Marc Andreessen
> unleashed Mosaic, the first graphical Web browser. So it was only a
> matter of time before Microsoft nosed its way onto the scene.
>
> Although it hasn't publicized its strategy for tapping into the
> much-hyped trend, Microsoft is closely following the peer-to-peer
> space. And behind the scenes, the software company has been developing
> new P2P technologies in several different areas.
>
> Heading up Microsoft's P2P activities is David Stutz, technical program
> manager in the company's technical strategy group, who said that
> Microsoft is a passionate advocate of the concept. "We believe in
> peer-to-peer," Stutz said. "It's inevitable for anything that needs to
> scale beyond the size of big Web farms."
>
> Stutz has been acting as Microsoft's liaison to the nascent Internet P2P
> community, and has already met with several P2P companies. "We're now
> going to start talking to people who are developing peer-to-peer
> applications to find out what they need," he said. Stutz declined to
> name the P2P companies that Microsoft has been collaborating with, but a
> spokesman at Groove Networks - the P2P company founded by Ray Ozzie -
> confirmed that Groove's executives have had several technical meetings
> with Microsoft.
>
> In general, Microsoft plans to incorporate new P2P features into future
> versions of Windows, Stutz said. "It's not like we'll say, 'This is the
> peer-to-peer operating system,'" he said. "Peer-to-peer features have
> already started showing up in our products." Those projects include:
>
> PASSPORT: To provide Internet-based security features for P2P
> applications, Microsoft is considering opening its Passport user
> directory so that it can authenticate a wide range of P2P applications,
> Stutz said.
>
> WINDOWS USER INTERFACE: Microsoft is looking at providing "helper" parts
> of Windows to enable P2P services in the background, Stutz said.
>
> UNIVERSAL PLUG AND PLAY: UPnP is a 2-year-old Microsoft-led initiative
> that lets devices locate other devices on a local network to set up
> peering relationships. However, UPnP isn't a workable technology for P2P
> applications that communicate over the Internet. "You need additional
> protocols to gracefully go from the conference room to the scale of the
> Internet," Stutz said. "This area is central to the peer-to-peer
> computing model."
>
> SIMPLE OBJECT ACCESS PROTOCOL: SOAP, a World Wide Web Consortium
> specification based on eXtensible Markup Language, lets computers
> exchange structured information in a decentralized, P2P fashion.
>
> Stutz said that Microsoft has long provided P2P technologies in various
> [...]

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

Trinity: Neo... nobody has ever done this before. Neo: I know. That's why it's going to work. -- The Matrix