Near the five-year anniversary of FoRK, Microsoft buys Great Plains

From: Adam Rifkin (adam@KnowNow.com)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 16:25:44 PST

I wonder if MSFT thought the name of the company was "Great Plans"? :)

> "This is the first fundamentally new business we've entered since
> 1995," says David Vaskevitch, Microsoft's senior VP for business
> applications. "A year ago, it became clear that we needed another new
> growth business. I proposed that we get into the business applications
> space," he said. "This is a huge new market."

I love this man. There was a great paper he wrote 5 or 6 years ago that
I still think about sometimes.

> Davis expects Microsoft to make more acquisitions to meet its goal to
> build a full suite of business process apps.

I wonder if they'd consider buying companies started by ex-employees?

   Adam

> [...]
> with precisely that line, in opposition to Microsoft's strategy, which
> was to sell business customers a platform and let them choose "best of
> breed" solutions from among the many different applications
> available. We may now hear that argument less from Microsoft.
>
> Burgum's role and title underscore Great Plains' significance to
> Microsoft: He'll immediately join Microsoft's elite Business Leadership
> Team with the title of senior VP. With Burgum still at the helm, Great
> Plains becomes a new division of Microsoft, operating out of North Dakota.
>
> Great Plains has been in business for 19 years; with recent acquisitions
> of its own, it's grown to some 2,000 employees. It reports revenues of
> $300 million a year and with its extensive web of local channel partners
> - some 10,000 people - it generates perhaps $1 billion worth of activity
> in the medium-size business market.
>
> Both Vaskevitch and Raikes separately spoke about how Microsoft will
> integrate Great Plains' software with its bCentral division, which
> caters to smaller businesses. The plan also will allow the extension of
> the bCentral ASP or "software as a service" model to include the Great
> Plains software.
>
> Vaskevitch foresees a time when businesses will have a mix of Microsoft
> software automating their operations, some of it hosted by an ASP
> (including Microsoft) and some of it loaded on-premises. He says that
> Microsoft will retain the Great Plains channel partners, and that they
> will have increased opportunities to offer add-on services.
>
> Dwight Davis, an analyst with Summit Strategies, doesn't entirely agree
> with this vision.
>
> "This is a real sea change for Microsoft," says Davis, who sees the move
> as Redmond reneging on promises to keep its hands off of certain
> industry segments. Davis believes that the news will discomfit not only
> competitors of Great Plains, but also many Microsoft partners.
>
> Davis expects Microsoft to make more acquisitions to meet its goal to
> build a full suite of business process apps. He also thinks that
> Microsoft may gradually shift into supplying apps for the large
> enterprise space, perhaps eventually competing directly with Oracle in
> this market as well as in the database market.
>
> As for Great Plains: it used to be a big fish in this market; now it's a
> tentacle of the giant octopus.
>
> The two companies have been close for years. In 1997, in a prologue to
> the federal antitrust case, Burgum testified on Microsoft's behalf
> before Sen. Orrin Hatch's Senate judiciary committee. Burgum spoke about
> how the software industry worked and of the importance of independent
> solution providers like Great Plains.
>
> Independent no more, late last night Burgum's board unanimously approved
> the takeover. They had chosen, he said, to structure the deal on a stock
> basis, rather than cash basis, to indicate that he and his company "are

----
Adam@KnowNow.Com

Neo: That was you on my computer. How did you do that?

Trinity: Right now, all I can tell you is that you're in danger. I brought you here to warn you.

Neo: About what?

Trinity: They're watching you, Neo.

Neo: Who is?

Trinity: Please just listen. I know why you're here, Neo. I know what you've been doing... why you hardly sleep, why you live alone, and why night after night, you sit by your computer. You're looking for him. I know because I was once looking fo r the same thing. And when he found me, he told me I wasn't really looking for him. I was looking for an answer. It's the question that drives us. It's the question that brought you here. You know the question, just as I did.

Neo: What is the Matrix?

Trinity: The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.

-- The Matrix