Re: ARTICLE: Despite the buzz, peer-to-peer startups lack business benefits

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Thu Dec 21 2000 - 11:07:39 PST

The intersection of bluetooth and wearables will make P2P T-shirts a
reality for some as early as this spring, and for many, well, whenever
the market catches up.

:-)

Jeffrey Kay wrote:

> Now there's a serious idea -- peer to peer tee-shirts.
>
> I think Napster is actually a pretty poor example of P2P. Napster has
> educated the greater community that P2P exists, but it really doesn't
> represent it because the value proposition of Napster is independent of the
> P2P infrastructure on which it runs. In all reality, Napster could have
> been just fine running as a single server farm with millions of connected
> users had there not been copyright law to circumvent.
>
> As you know, I'm solidly in the P2P camp, but right now everyone and their
> mother is claiming to be P2P because of all the attention that Napster is
> getting. Even AOL considers AIM to be P2P. (Reminds me of the early days
> when FTP purported to be the Web.) This something that companies like ours
> have to address in some serious fashion for P2P to become "legitimate".
>
> Jeffrey Kay <jkay@engenia.com>
> Chief Technology Officer, Engenia Software Inc.
>
> "First get your facts, then you can distort them at your leisure" -- Mark
> Twain
> "Golf is an endless series of tragedies obscured by the occasional miracle"
> -- Sports Illustrated
> "If A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y plus Z. X is
> work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." -- Albert Einstein

Strata Rose Chalup [KF6NBZ]                      strata@virtual.net
VirtualNet Consulting                            http://www.virtual.net/
 ** ISP/ASP Systems Integration, Architecture, & Project Management **