Re: Network World: IMPPlosion

From: B.K. DeLong (bkdelong@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 11:52:17 PST

At 11:01 AM 12/19/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>What would you bully them with? Slashdot em? Not likely they would
>undertand what that was. Show them the tech merits? Why should they care,
>they got a user base who prides themselves on NonTechThink.Write nasty
>things about them in Offical White Papers and Standards Groups? I doubt
>they care much since thier user base thinks AOL is the standards Commity
>for the net.

You missed the #1 way to beat down any high profile company who's talking
trash - the media. All it takes is convincing a handful of high profile
journalists that AOL isn't playing the game, and get a few articles out of
it making AOL look like a selfish whiner. Post said article URLs to AOL
investor bulletin boards. End result? Stock drops a few points but enough
for them to take the first steps in getting involved.

AOL knows it's the right thing to do and they could care less if the
developer community screams about it - but if the world media takes them to
task.....then it's a different story.

--
B.K. DeLong
Research Lead