Re: Network World: IMPPlosion

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Tue Dec 19 2000 - 11:19:54 PST

Tom Whore wrote:

> The best thing to do, imnsfho, is to build a better protocol (fuck the
> commities and standards etc)

Ah, geez, not this tired meme again. ;-) Repeat after me: at this point in our
technical history, the whole notion of building a better protocol is pointless. I
am constantly amazed at the ongoing political nightmare over IM and presence
inside the IETF. Indeed, the political and *technical* nightmare in protocol
development in general. Folks, we're done: HTTP it is, end of story. Maybe it
would be nice to do a mapping onto UDP, but besides that, we can call it soup.
Once we've called it soup, maybe we can get down to business and figure out async
/ queued HTTP and better / richer proxy semantics, better namespace management
concepts, etc. But fundamentally, you only need *1* synchronous request /
response protocol at the app layer. (And maybe one mapping of said protocol onto
underlying stack levels.) EVERYTHING ELSE can be built on top of that.

Let's forget all this nonsense and start talking payloads and APIs and the
aforementioned other groovy stuff. The LAST thing the world needs is another
app-level domain-specific semi-generic quasi-transport!

> and get thier user base hooked on it like
> little poser goth kids on heroin.

Hey now, careful there.

;-)

> He who controls the Spice etc etc

...controls the universe! That whole thing about spice being worm shit?
Disinformation. The *real* secret of the spice, melange:

· 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
· 2 tablespoons salt
· 2 tablespoons garlic powder
· 1 tablespoon black pepper
· 1 tablespoon onion powder
· 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
· 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
· 1 tablespoon dried thyme

preparation instructions
   Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Yield: about 2/3 cup

AKA "essence," ala Emeril. http://www.emerils.com/recipedb/index.html For a bit
more of that authentic down-home Arrakeen flavor, try omitting the oregano, thyme,
and onion powder and instead tossing in a liberal amount of cinnamon, a
conservative amount of turmeric, some powdered bitter chocolate, and just a
threat of a hint of saffron.

:-)

jb