RE: guns (Re: Cell phones of death!)

From: Ryan S. Upton (ryanu@pobox.com)
Date: Mon Dec 18 2000 - 20:09:41 PST

I thought I would break my months of lurking and come out of the
woodwork/wardrobe/closet or whatever.

While reading this I had the rather surreal experience of U2's "Don't take
your gun to town" come up.
It twisted my wittle head.

further thoughts:

         You should be able to carry any suitably safe (doesn't explode in
an UNEXPECTED manner...) firearm with a concealed carry permit, why bother
outlawing the phones? Perhaps better to restrict them to those who may
legally carry a firearm and allow them the convenience of not having to
ware a belt pouch or jacket all the time?

         Yes, you too can threaten someone with a cell phone. The majority
of people will mistake it as that which it appears, rather than that which
it is, meaning you have to come up with the salesman pitch of the century
and convince them, run away, or shoot them before they do whatever it is
that motivated the draw of the cell phone. With a cell phone (or a gun that
looks like one for that matter) you just don't get the respect say Dirty
Harry does with a 12" barrel chrome 44 magnum...

well, back to making the world safe for the sheep.
-R

At 12/18/00 11:17 AM -0500, you wrote:
>I don't own a gun. I have never fired a gun. I don't ever plan on acquiring
>a guy.

? I have some friends in theatre you might want to get in touch with then...

>Having said that, it would seem to me that banning guns would 1) only
>ensure that criminals have them--since they would no doubt not care about
>violating gun laws (after all, robbery, rape et al are all illegal to begin
>with and typically carry a tougher sentence than the illegal possession of a
>firearm), and 2) guns bans would decrease the marginal cost of committing a
>crime to the criminal. The economist in me tells me that when you outlaw
>something, only the criminal element will possess such an item--for good
>examples, refer to the prohibition and the currently failing war on drugs.
>
>That aside, here's a very good article on the issue:

>Cold Comfort
>Economist John Lott discusses the benefits of guns--and the hazards of
>pointing them out.
>
>http://www.reason.com/0001/fe.js.cold.html
>
>Interviewed by Jacob Sullum and Michael W. Lynch

For the great majority of mankind are satisfied with appearance,
as though they were realities and are often more influenced by
the things that seem than by those that are.
-Niccolo Machiavelli