[Drudge] "This is his finger to the world."

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 09:33:26 -0700

Hey Byars, remember the old days when we used to post to FoRK about
Clinton being a cokehead and sex addict who ordered the deaths of
several people close to him when they got too close to the truth?

Last night's Drudge report made me reminiscent of those days...
What is the likelihood that the following is actually true? 3%?

BTW, I'm presently writing up thoughts about BillG's house. Will post
soon...

> From drudge@drudgereport.com Tue Aug 18 20:21:26 1998
> To: DRUDGE@drudgereport.com
> Subject: DRUDGE-REPORT-EXCLUSIVE 8/18/98
>
> XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX TUE AUG 18 1998 22:12:16 ET XXXXX
>
> CLINTON WORE LEWINSKY TIE DURING SPEECH!
>
> **Exclusive**
> **Must Credit**
>
> Insiders who have full knowledge of the gifts exchanged between Monica
> Lewinsky and President Clinton tell the DRUDGE REPORT that Clinton
> wore a tie given to him by Monica Lewinsky -- during last night's
> national TV address!
>
> The silver-blue tie, with little black checkers, was the first tie
> Monica Lewinsky gave President Clinton early in their relationship.
> And investigators may ask Lewinsky about that tie when she makes an
> appearance before the grand jury later this week, it has been learned.
>
> "It's Bill Clinton playing with fire," warns one case insider. "This
> is his finger to the world."
>
> Bill Clinton may have not even remembered that Monica Lewinsky gave
> him the tie, but one source, directly involved in the case, strongly
> doubts it.
>
> "I know it's unbelievable, but he was wearing her tie!"
>
> The White House offered no immediate comment.
>
> The NEW YORK TIMES fronts a story on another tie sighting in Wednesday
> editions, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned.
>
> "When President Clinton strode into the Rose Garden on August 6, his
> jazzy gold and navy necktie stood out sharply against his white shirt
> and sent a jolt through certain lawyers around town... According to
> what Ms. Lewinsky told a close friend, Ms. Lewinsky told the president
> that because they would not be able to see each other every day, 'when
> I see you wearing this tie I'll know that I am close to your heart.'"
>
> DRUDGE FOOTNOTE: It was Halloween of 1997. The romance was over
> between Lewinsky and Clinton. Even the phone sex had cooled. It was
> a dangerous time, with lawyers for Paula Jones looking into Clinton's
> activities. Monica Lewinsky gave the president a little
> jack-o'-lantern lapel pin, according to case intelligence. Videos and
> pictures track how the president wore it all day, during all of his
> public appearances.

In the words of Al Pacino's "Scent of a Woman" character, Hoo hah.

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

I'd love to be off [X-files], but because of my greed I have to give
them an extra two years... I assumed there was no way it would last. It
wasn't that interesting and I thought it was silly. Obviously I was
wrong... [the plots] don't make sense. There are lots of holes.
-- David Duchovny to the BBC about "The X-files",
as quoted by Drudge 8/18/98