Re: [Internet World] Intro to the Resource Description Framework

Dan Brickley (Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk)
Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:10:58 +0100 (BST)

Quite. Neither subsumes the other - they're complementary.

It's possible to use XML without RDF, or RDF without XML
(and I know which I'd rather do ;-)

For example, you might define an API to RDF databases in OMG IDL
(or HTTP-NG interfaces...) then query RDF graphs across the network
without an angle-bracket in sight. If you were feeling painfully meta
you might want to use RDF to describe the API, but you'd probably be
tracked down and killed by the gratuitious recursion police...

Dan

--
Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk
Institute for Learning and Research Technology   http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/