Re: OS X & Rhapsody

Tim Byars (tbyars@earthlink.net)
Wed, 12 Aug 1998 08:56:36 -0700

At 4:58 AM -0700 8/12/98, John M. Klassa came up with this:

> JB> Tell me how easy the Mac is to use, after bragging about how
> JB> complicated it was to set up Rohit's PowerBook (and how everything
> JB> broke after he changed its name).
>
> I was actually wondering about that last part, too (the name change
> that screwed everything up)...

The Mac OS uses something called HFS, the file system is read by the Finder
which is an application. (This isn't exactly correct but it makes
explaining this process easier) The Finder "mounts" the drives. The name of
the drive creates the path which in the Mac's case uses a :

So we have - Macintosh HD:System Folder:Apple Menu Items:Photoshop alias

by changing the name of the drive we have,

Rohit's HD:System Folder:Apple Menu Items:Photoshop alias

Hence, the alias is now broke. A number of simple utilities will fix it
however. And yes it would be nice if it had the little flashlight thing
that didn't work so at least it looked like it was trying.

Tim

--

Don't go lookin' for snakes you might find them. ...Metallica

<> tbyars@earthlink.net <>