Re: [CNN] Benefits and drawbacks to raising an only child.

David Crook (dcrook@commwerks.com)
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 16:24:52 -0700

Lisa Lippert (Dusseault) (Exchange) wrote:

> This is something I've thought a lot about as well.
>
> To add to the issues already skirted, how about overprotective parents?
> It's not just parents of one child who are overprotective, but also parents
> who don't have enough other stuff to do who smother children, such as (but
> not limited to) over-capable stay-at-home moms. I've seen this happen with
> only children, but also with slightly larger families. The kid becomes tied
> to the mother's apron strings, scared, less independent, less outgoing, more
> "fragile" emotionally.

Bah, just sell the little brats into indentured servitude at a coal mine
when they start walking. That will bring them up right, none of this
fragile kid stuff. Works wonders on the hyperactive ones, gives them
something to do. Its worked in my family for a few hundred years, it
will work for yours.

Dave