[NYT] Internet Browser Idea Arose Long Before Netscape.

I Find Karma (adam@cs.caltech.edu)
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 06:27:24 -0700

Roy wrote:
> One of the more damning criticisms of Microsoft is their tradition
> of hiring preferentially from the newly graduated and inexperienced
> ranks, such that the new hire does not come in with a preconceived
> notion of workplace culture and practices. Easier to meld, more likely
> to work beyond reasonable health, and more likely to believe the
> Microsoft culture is the one true way to build software.

There's another way to build software and another type of workplace
culture that succeeds in practice for shipping software at a certain
deadline with less resources than needed that millions of people are
willing to buy?

Or am I wrong in suggesting that no other software that people are
willing to pay for, ships in the "millions of units" scale?

Maybe Netscape browsers once were, but Netscape doesn't charge for them
anymore. Wow, Netscape. This week is the 3-year anniversary of their
IPO. I wonder if jwz is rich yet.

Yesterday the New York Times ran an article on the filing that the
Internet was already on Microsoft's map the very week Netscape was born...

http://search.nytimes.com/search/daily/bin/fastweb?getdoc+site+site+38483+0+wAAA+%22Microsoft%7ESays%7EInternet%7EBrowser%22

Mr. Allard's 16-page memo, "Windows: The Next Killer Application on the
Internet," sounds like it'd be a fascinating read now, four and a half
years later. Unfortunately, the only other reference to it Altavista
can find is in a Wired article last November...

http://www.wired.com/news/news/business/story/8469.html

...so I'll just stick to the New York Times article for now. By the
way, they moved my "have dinner at BillG's house" date to August 18, so
it turns out that I didn't miss out on that by going to WISEN in mid
July after all.

> [...]
> Netscape was founded.
>
> To hasten its entry into the browser market, Microsoft licensed its
> early browsing software from Spyglass Inc. of Naperville, Ill. The first
> meeting between the two companies was in April 1994, recalled Douglas P.
> Colbeth, the president of Spyglass. In subsequent meetings later that
> year, Mr. Colbeth said it was becoming clear that Microsoft felt a sense
> of urgency about Internet software.
>
> Netscape achieved celebrity more than a year later, in August 1995, when
> it went public and many of its employees became instant millionaires
> thanks to Wall Street's discovery of the Internet. But within the
> software industry, Netscape had already become known as a hot start-up
> in 1994.
>
> ''All the attention Netscape was getting clearly prodded Microsoft and
> accelerated its timing for some steps, like its announcement in 1995
> that it would give away its browser,'' Mr. Colbeth said. ''But from our
> earliest discussions with Microsoft, the message was loud and clear that
> the browsing functionality was going to be put into the Windows
> operating system.''
>
> He added: ''Whenever you license technology to Microsoft, you have to
> understand that they may well do it themselves and drop it into the
> operating system. That's Microsoft's business model, expanding
> Windows.''
>
> Regardless of the legal outcome, the way Microsoft awakened to the
> opportunity and threat of the Internet is a textbook case of the way the
> company works. A small group of Internet enthusiasts, mainly in their
> 20's, got the attention of Microsoft's top management, including Mr.
> Gates.
>
> It helped that one of those young enthusiasts was Steven Sinofsky, who
> at the time was a technical assistant to Mr. Gates, a job that Mr.
> Sinofsky described as ''largely just being an extra set of eyes and ears
> to learn about the newest, latest technology and bring it back to
> Bill.''
>
> Mr. Sinofsky had read Mr. Allard's January 1994 memo, ''Windows: The
> Next Killer Application on the Internet.'' And the two soon got
> together. ''It was clear he had already figured this thing out,'' Mr.
> Sinofsky recalled.
>
> Mr. Sinofsky and Mr. Allard arranged the one-day brainstorming retreat
> in April 1994, including handing out a three-inch-thick pile of advance
> reading for every participant, a hefty selection of Internet-related
> writings. Much of the discussion focused on how Microsoft might make
> money off the Internet and what might be the big money-making product,
> or ''killer app,'' in the industry's shorthand.
>
> Mr. Allard's formulation, then and now, was simple -- both a
> distillation of Microsoft's overarching strategy and a business practice
> that sends shivers of fear through its rivals.
>
> ''There is no killer app,'' Mr. Allard said this week. ''It's just

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

I believe man will not merely endure; he will prevail. He is immortal,
not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but
because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and
endurance. The poet's, the writer's duty is to write about these
things. It is his privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart, by
reminding him of the courage and honour and hope and pride and
compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past.
The poet's voice need not merely be the record of man, it can be one of
the props, the pillars to help him endure and prevail.
-- William Faulkner, from his acceptance speech for the Nobel Prize for
literature, 1949