Re: [Wash Post] Amazon.Com Buys 2 Online Start-Ups.

John M. Klassa (klassa@aur.alcatel.com)
Thu, 06 Aug 1998 09:30:30 -0400

IFK> Amazon is still an amazing company: no profits expected until at
IFK> least 2001, and a bunch debts in accounts payable that could lead
IFK> to trouble if the payees want the money up front instead of in 90
IFK> days, and yet a market cap of what, $6 billion?

I'm perplexed by this. I'm not market savvy, nor business savvy (nor
any kind of savvy, really). :-) Yet, it seems like Amazon is the
ultimate in a low-overhead, high-volume business. They run a bunch of
web servers, and employ hourly laborers to pack books into boxes for
shipment. How can that *not* be profitable? I just don't get it...

--
John Klassa / Alcatel Telecom / Raleigh, NC, USA <><