RE: Old skool FoRK

Robert S. Thau (rst@ai.mit.edu)
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 17:28:57 -0400 (EDT)

John Regehr writes:
> In another branch of this thread the increasing power of corporations came
> up. This is the subject of Richard Powers's latest book, _Gain_, which I
> recently finished and highly recommend. Powers is one of the best writers
> out there. More info at

Salon recently did a dual set of rave reviews of Gain, and a loopy
collection of Borgesian short stories by Ken Kalfus called "Thirst".
I've since read both, and recommend them highly. In fact, I'd
recommend just about anything by Powers highly; a lot of people on
this list might be interested in Galatea 2.2, in which a middle aged
novelist named Richard Powers is roped into cooperating with a project
to get a neural net to pass English exams, which works rather better
than expected.

But the real find is Kalfus --- even his *copyright notice* is a fun
read. Really.

rst