Lexicon of Intentionally Ambiguous Recommendations.

I Find Karma (adam@milliways.cs.caltech.edu)
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 03:46:12 -0700 (PDT)

Steven Denenberg writes:
> I found your site, because I was searching Alta Vista

Altavista isn't so great. I prefer the meta-searcher Dogpile:

http://www.dogpile.com/

> for "Lexicon of Intentionally Ambiguous Recommendations,"
> by Robert Thornton.

A great book. My friend Robert Harley has a copy. Alas, I do not.
I should look for a copy, too.

> I could never find it, and I thought it wasn't a real book.

It is definitely a real book. And definitely a real GOOD book.
Sample "intentionally ambiguous" lines:
A man like him is hard to find.
For the services he has given our firm over the years, we are deeply indebted.
He will do nothing which will lower your high regard for him.
He's a difficult man to replace.
He's definitely a young man to watch.
He's nobody's fool.
He's only 30, but he has the mental faculties of a man three times his age.
His job requires few skills which he lacks.
His research is on the cutting edge.
I am pleased to say this candidate is a former colleague of mine.
I cannot recommend him highly enough.
I honestly don't think he could have done a better job for us if he had tried.
I most enthusiastically recommend this man with no qualifications whatsoever.
It was a pleasure working under her.
It won't take her long to get up to speed.
No amount of praise would suffice for the amount of work he has done for us.
No salary will be too much for her.
One usually comes away from him with a good feeling.
She just may be the best accountant your firm will ever hire.
She was always high in my opinion.
There's no mistaking this man's potential.
There's nothing you can teach a man like him.
We always knew he would forge a name for himself.
We wish we had 10 employees like him.
We would love to have a portrait of her hanging in the office.
You won't find many people like her.
You'll be very fortunate to get him to work for you.

Unfortunately, it's hard to find.
Fortunately, we have Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ISBN=0881661112/forkrecommendedrA/

> Can you give me the publisher, and the ISDN number? I'd like to get my
> hands on it.

Published by Meadowbrook, Inc. : Distributed by Simon & Schuster.
Availability: This title is out of print, but if you place an order we
may be able to find you a used copy within 2-6 months.

Good luck ordering it through Amazon! I may order a copy myself...

:) Adam

----
adam@cs.caltech.edu

Y2K is not a symptom. It is a fundamental problem. *Respect* the
problem. WHY IS IT A PROBLEM IN THE FIRST PLACE?
-- Rohit Khare