RE: Samples & Steve Jobs.

Joe Barrera (joebar@MICROSOFT.com)
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:14:31 -0700

Last night and this morning I was wandering around the house, looking at
all the books I have, and realizing that I have a hell of a job in front
of me assembling the "Joe" list of recommended books.

At any rate... 1984 (and Animal Farm) are definitely going on the list.
[Oh no, here he goes again... well at least he's not talking about
Infinite Jest again!] Don't you remember what Winston Smith did for a
living?

I am completely sickened by the concept of editing history. For me, the
associations with fascism are so obvious. And child abuse as well. Why
so serious? Probably because I believe that there is a very strong link
between accountability and the immutability of the past. Need I spell
this out? If so, I will do so from home where my Primo Levi books are.

Furthermore, once you start altering the historical record, you threaten
the consistency of that record. If you post something and I respond to
it, and then you retract your posting, you alter the context of my
response in a way that may make my response look irrelevant. Then what,
do I have to retract or edit my response? And how about those messages
triggered by mine? A naïve retract could wipe out most of the remaining
posts in the archive.

If you're just concerned about wasting other's time on a post that you
immediately realize to be stupid/bogus/wrong, then just follow your post
with an empty post with a subject line like

Subject: Ignore my last post <eom> [was: Re: Samples & Steve Jobs. ]

(That's the internal Microsoft convention, at least.)

But in the case described below - where you misunderstood Tim and didn't
realize it until he replied - I just totally disagree with retracting
your post and his reply. What if other people misunderstood Tim's
original post the same way you did? You would then nuke Tim's clarifying
post just because *you* ... oh what the hell, I really have to go back
to work.

Perhaps I should just say: Adam! You aren't perfect! None of us are! We
all make mistakes! Get used to it! The solution is NOT to pretend that
the mistakes didn't happen!

- Joe

Joseph S. Barrera III <joebar@microsoft.com>
<http://research.microsoft.com/~joebar/>
Phone, Office: (415) 778-8227; Cellular: (415) 601-3719; Home: (415)
588-4801
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views and do
not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation.