RE: Algonquin chipmunks

Jim Whitehead (ejw@ics.uci.edu)
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 03:00:13 -0700

When I first arrived in California (from Boston), I had a lot of fun asking
people to name 5 of the 6 New England states, which most Californians
couldn't manage -- if someone ever invaded Rhode Island they'd think it was
foreign news! Of course, particularly fun were the 10% or so who thought
that New England was itself a state (after all, the New England Patriots
are the only football team that claim to represent an entire region,
although most Bostonians can't be bothered to drive down to Foxboro, so I
don't know why someone from upstate Maine would be more enthusiastic).

After this I asked them to start naming Ivy League schools... :-) It's
pretty scary -- students at U.C.'s are supposed to be the upper 10% of all
students in the state. Yikes!

- Jim