Re: Boy does Verizon suck

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 17:15:46 PDT

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Dave Winer wrote:

> >>They simply snatched up verizonreallysucks.com instead.
>
> Exactly. That's why there's an infinite number of really great domain names
> available.
>
> I realized that when I grabbed SuperOpenDirectory.Com.
>
> The next person will no doubt grab SuperDuperOpenDirectory.Com.
>
> And so on..

This is exactly why ICANN's role now amounts to "how do we pad domain
registrar's pockets, by making it just legal enough that people have to
worry about squatters getting their trademarks"

I end up dealing with trademark issues every few months, even on things
I've used commercially since mid-1995. The sooner the lawyers kick the
5cr1p7 k1dd13 and scum back where they belong the better. Unlike
copyright and patent stuff, strong trademark law harms noone. It's hard
enough trying to build brand without having people releasing utter crap
with similar/same names.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/