Re: Privacy vs. psychology.

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Sun Sep 10 2000 - 02:13:31 PDT

> [snip]
> These incremental technology changes won't change the way people think
> about a product. Marketing counts more. "Great marketing and average
> technology always beats average marketing and great technology," says
> Mohr, Davidow's Mr. Zachary [general partner at VC firm Mohr, Davidow
> Ventures].

"Worse is Better." Same old story.

    http://www.ai.mit.edu/docs/articles/good-news/subsection3.2.1.html

While I don't agree with Gabriel in all his points, it's still a
compelling argument in its most abstract form. The list is endless:
Lisp, Colecovision, Beta, Objective C, the Mac, the Transputer, Linda,
Smalltalk, the Atari ATW boxes, Cogent Research, NeXT, etc. etc. etc.
Best-of-breed tech is *never* top market leader. Why?

HTTP in particular is a shining example of Worse is Better. Or maybe a
better way to put it would be "Good Enough is Good Enough."

jb