Re: Huge drivespace Re: computing budgeting (fwd)

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 11:05:16 PDT

Tom Whore wrote:

> Usgae will increas to fill up all the bandwidth that can be made.

This is absolutely true in the long run.

> Case in point....Me
>
> Given a modem i hosed it down for all its worth, from my first 300 baud
> to the last 56k i owened.

All of those transitions, essentially, were incremental. We're talking about
*huge* discontinuity here --- 3x as big as the ENTIRE discontinuity between
1980 and today, happening in a compressed period of the next year or so. Try
to imagine it this way: what in the world would you have done in, say, 1982,
with DSL, a 386 box or Mac, and the apps / services that existed then? The
"stuff" just wouldn't exist to really utilize that capacity in any interesting
way.

> "Bandwidth expands to fit the waste available"

Absolutely true. But it says nothing about timeframes or discontinuities.

jb