Re: Huge drivespace Re: computing budgeting (fwd)

From: Adam L. Beberg (beberg@mithral.com)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 00:12:00 PDT

On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Jeff Bone wrote:

> But of course the right answer to the question is I'd do whatever it
> took to make a complete copy of every song that ever hit Napster.
> :-) That would eat a noticeable fraction of the 10TB drive.

Hardly, Napster has been hovering in the 3TB range for a long time now,
but 1TB of that is boy-band or teen-tramp. Even wierd old stuff I look
for has 20+ sites. Of course every one is a few bytes different, which
is completely unacceptable. I'd give the music people listen to about
1TB ~ 1,000,000 minutes of audio ~ 200,000 songs ~ 20,000 albums ~ 2
years of continuous audio. But I would bet the MPAA has better numbers.

Figure about 500GB of for all the software more then 3 people have ever
actually used (eliminating the need to archive most software).

Toss in a 'pedia or 20, some recepies and sewing paterns, a little data
from the light and dark sides... The other 8.5TB can be porn and an AI
to sort thorough it for ya.

Oh wait, maybe that _is_ a snapshot of the web. Or is a snapshot of all
types of communication forms. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll ;)

The answer is no, we wont do anything new, any more then we did
anything new with radio, TV, VHS, CDs, the net, DVD, or any other new
medium or expansion of an existing one. Just more of it.

- Adam L. Beberg
  Mithral Communications & Design, Inc.
  The Cosm Project - http://cosm.mithral.com/
  beberg@mithral.com - http://www.iit.edu/~beberg/