RE: [RSS-DEV] Results from RSS survey

From: Jeff Jarrell (jjarrel@technovotics.com)
Date: Wed Sep 06 2000 - 09:33:34 PDT

Dave,

I read your comments and like to emphatically agree with respect to
cultural issues. I am originally from Colorado, lived in California for
a couple of years, and presently have lived and worked in NY\NJ the past
8-9 years. I have worked in the financial district and gone toe to toe
with vendors who are doing everything they can to get their product on a
traders desk. To the outsider it looks loud, aggressive, and obnoxious,
yet after getting all of that I have had people, come back and say "ya
got some stones, now we can get some work done". And from these tenuous
beginnings became some very good working relationships.

Now, I work in less aggressive areas and now and then the old me comes
back, right into the face of the un-suspecting. Needless, to say I have
had situations not go my way, simply because someone took offense at my
direct style. I have always said, I can deal with the issues if you
voice them (if it is loud it is ok), but if you keep quite and stew
about them, I can't help you.

In the context of this RSS discussion, I think I too was surprised as it
was announced as 1.0 before I even really knew it was being worked on.
I am a relative newbie to the Internet realm and I really like what I
see in terms of community process. I am disappointed in myself that I
haven't been able to keep up with the necessary reading and technical
issues. I am even on vacation this week and doing a lot of reading and
I still can't keep up.

jeff