Re: Survey on the evolution of RSS

From: Dave Winer (dave@userland.com)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 10:39:23 PDT

Dan, imho, the canonical form is RSS 0.91. Start there, and add the best of
the elements NS-RDF thread comes up with and add that to the baseline spec,
and call it 0.92, and then let's write it up in clear end-user level docs.
No colons. No RDF.

Then six months later, do the same thing, call it 0.93. Create the
expectation of movement. Train the content people, slowly, to expect new
stuff on a periodic basis, with plenty of time to digest it and a common set
of tools that get updated without breakage.

The mistake we've been making collectively is no movement, and then an
overwhelming amount of movement. No one can digest that much unless they
stop everything they're doing, which is basically what I've done for the
last few weeks, at great expense to my company and its development process.
No user is going to do that for us.

And if we're going to work as a community we must have TRUST. The sneaky way
"RSS 1.0" was done destroyed all trust in this community as far as I'm
concerned. Now to rebuild it let's have a backdown, and re-introduce
ourselves and then a roadmap.

Dave