Re: Survey on the evolution of RSS

From: Dan Brickley (Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 10:09:33 PDT

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Dave Winer wrote:
> [...] I want to make end-user level syndication formats that are
> transparently simple. Formats like RSS."

What do you think of the idea that we use a (profile of) XHTML,
augmented in places with CLASS=item CLASS=channel etc tags? Then XSLT
(or Perl etc) convertors could extract RSS flavours, scripting news etc from
such HTML. Advantage to webmasters being that they simply maintain an
HTML 'latest news' page, with automation of various kinds following from
that.

HTML has provide itself simple enough to be adopted across the Web, and
has a variety of authoring, conversion, indexing etc tools. I'm worried
that RSS as a standalone format risks going head-to-head with (to
pick one of several examples) WAP/WML site summaries...

Dan