Re: Survey on the evolution of RSS

From: Gerald Oskoboiny (gerald@impressive.net)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 09:19:17 PDT

:
> > o Add "semantic sugar" for XML Namespaces so developers can use the Dublin
> > Core and create their own vocabularies, even if it makes RSS more complex
> > and the documentation harder to find. This is a good thing to do because it
> > avoids silly innovations like the "blink" tag, as happened in the browser
> > wars between Microsoft and Netscape.

> o Simplify it into a core set of concepts so that any old
> Web developer can start doing useful things without having to
> take a 10 week course in XML namespaces, memorizing Dublic Core,
> trying to figure out the meaning of "semantic" (joke), and
> allow a graceful engagement of features.
>
> Who's the target user, who benefits from it?

I haven't really followed the RSS evolution arguments closely,
but I don't understand why namespaces are thought to suddenly
make everything so much more complex.

Can't you just tell people "here, put this crap at the top of
your files and don't worry about it"?

I hacked up a quick script on the weekend to let me add captions
to my online photos, storing the metadata in RDF a la
http://www.w3.org/TR/photo-rdf/

and I didn't need to read any other specs to do it.

It still needs work, but here are some pointers to what I have so far:

interactive caption editing script:

    http://impressive.net/people/gerald/2000/09/captivate

screen dump of me using it:

    http://impressive.net/people/gerald/2000/09/05/captivate-dump.jpg