Robot Evolution (shades of our recent discussions...)

From: Strata Rose Chalup (strata@virtual.net)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 13:06:07 PDT

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/tech/DailyNews/robots000830.html

Strata Rose Chalup [strata@knownow.com]   |  strata@virtual.net, KF6NBZ
Director of Network Operations            |       VirtualNet Consulting
KnowNow, Inc [http://www.knownow.com]     |      http://www.virtual.net/

ABCNEWS.com : Computer Designs, Manufactures Robots
GO Network
GO Kids | GO Family | GO Money | GO Sports | GO Home
Infoseek Search

ABCNEWS
  WEB

GO Network ABOUT GO NETWORK | SIGN IN | FREE E-MAIL
Jeep® THERE'S ONLY ONE
HOME

NEWS SUMMARY

U.S.

POLITICS

WORLD

MONEYSCOPE /
BUSINESS

TECHNOLOGY

SCIENCE

HEALTH&LIVING

TRAVEL

ESPN SPORTS

ENTERTAINMENT

WEATHER.com

REFERENCE

LOCAL

ABCNEWS ON TV

TECH HEADLINES

Electronic Chatter Fools Instant Messengers

Computer Designs, Manufactures Robots

Computer Giants Unite on Linux Lab

Commentary: Online Music Swapping Rocks

MP3.com Trial Begins

Sponsored by ABCNews.com

SPECIAL SERVICES
Shopping Guide

Auto Section

SEARCH

ABC.com

TurboNews

EMAIL
    ABCNEWS.com

SEND PAGE TO
    A FRIEND

TOOLS AND
    HELPERS

Robots Beget More Robots?
Complex 1
Computer Automatically Designs, Manufactures Robots

A virtual robot called " Complex 1" is seen in a computer program on Aug. 29, 2000, at the Dynamical and Evolutionary Machine Organization lab at Brandeis University in Waltham, Mass. (Julia Malakie/AP Photo)

By Matthew Fordahl
The Associated Press
Aug. 30 — A computer programmed to follow the rules of evolution has for the first time designed and manufactured simple robots with minimal help from people.

The 8-inch automatons did not take over the world or even vacuum the lab. Instead, they crawled across a tabletop, exactly as they were digitally bred to do, said Jordan Pollack, a computer scientist at Brandeis University in Waltham, Mass.
     “It’s not what our robots do that is so surprising,” he said. “They’re not humanoid robots — they don’t raise their eyebrows and make you giggle. But what they did do was autonomously designed and manufactured.”

Closer to Solving Two Big Obstacles
By having a computer create designs using natural selection, researchers edged closer to solving two of robotics’ biggest obstacles: robots’ lack of versatility and their high cost of development.
     Robots engineered by people typically function only under specific conditions with limited ability to adapt to changing situations.
     A simple robot that vacuums a home, for instance, could cost millions to develop and sell for $5,000 after engineers figured out a way to make sure it doesn’t crash into furniture or fall down stairs, Pollack said.
     “Then again, you could just hire a minimum-wage worker with a $100 manual vacuum,” he said. “The cost of building an intelligent humanoid robot is so high, we just can’t get the economics going.”
     Ultimately, the Darwinian approach could revolutionize everything from manufacturing to space exploration.
     “Down the road, if we could have a thing like this in space, you could send the building blocks and let them evolve themselves,” said Yoseph Bar-Cohen, director of a robotics lab at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory. “That would be fascinating.”

Structure Forever Evolving
Pollack and colleague Hod Lipson merged automatic manufacturing techniques with evolutionary computing. Their results appear Thursday in the journal Nature.
     The computer that evolved the designs was told only what parts it would be working with, the physics of the environment in which its offspring would be moving, and the goal of locomotion.
     Over several days, the computer thought up different designs and methods of movement, creating traits that worked and failed. Like dinosaurs, woolly mammoths and dodo birds, the failures were cast into the dustbin of history.
     The most promising designs survived and passed their success to future generations. Hundreds of generations later, three robots were manufactured by a prototyping machine.
     “It evolved various kinds of locomotive mechanisms — all surprising, given there was no human coming up with how to do it,” Pollack said. “We got ratcheting motions. We got rolling motions. We got swimming motions.”

Robot Reproduction
The little white robots were made of bars, actuators, ball joints, motors and circuits. People intervened only to insert the motors into the plastic parts spit out by the prototyping machine.
     The next step will be to incorporate sensors into the robots so that success or failure in the physical world can be built into future generations.
     It could be a difficult project, said Maja J. Mataric, a professor at the University of Southern California and director of the USC Robotics Research Labs.
     “The authors very cleverly figured out a way to design a body and then actually manufacture it, which is an amazing feat,” she said. “What is not at all clear is how to come up with a sensor design and manufacture it.”

Copyright 2000 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 SEARCH ABCNEWS.com FOR MORE ON …

Related Stories
WNT: What if Machines Get Too Smart?

Robotic Assitants in Space

FDA OKs First Robotic Surgical Device

Carnivorous Train-Like Robot Is 'Born'

Rescue Robots

NASA to Send Two Rovers to Mars

Robotic Heart Surgery Successes

Copyright ©2000 ABC News Internet Ventures. Click here for Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Internet Safety Information applicable to this site.