Re: new computer virus (fwd)

From: Jeff Bone (jbone@jump.net)
Date: Wed Aug 30 2000 - 22:56:51 PDT

I was just razzing you --- just a few days ago I got this same thing written up as an "Aggie
Virus." In Texas, particularly among UT folks, Aggies (i.e. folks from Texas A&M) are generally
held to be these sort of dopey hicks, and Aggie Jokes are just a variation on the age-old ethnic
group jokes. (Think Polish Jokes, or whatever.) The schtick is that the CS dept. at A&M are so
dumb that this is the best kind of virus they can come up with.

I've also seen a version of this thing cast as the "Linux Honor Virus," the schtick being that since
Linux is so virus-resistant this is the only instantiation that works on that kind of platform.

It's quite a funny joke, actually, and its mutability is a credit to how deep the joke really goes.

Prions are little bits of protein that are themselves "infectious" in some sense; think even
simpler than viruses. There's some notion that prions may in fact be responsible for certain kinds
of mental illness; that's a scary thought, mental illness as an infectious disease. Memes can be a
little bit like prions, IMO. (Side note: Mad Cow Disease is known to be prion-based.)

:-)

jb