Re: Time-Warner steps in it, again

From: Ian Andrew Bell (chimp@ianbell.com)
Date: Tue Aug 29 2000 - 15:06:09 PDT

Well, there's a deeper irony here.

If CNN hadn't put the URL here, would they not be in moral contravention of
the separation of church and state that is so famously supposed to exist,
within news organizations, between management and editorial? Arguably, we
could just as easily be criticizing them for that.

Me, I get captivated by the irony that by suing Napster via the RIAA, they
are functionally protecting technology that was/is clearly being developed
within AOL/Time-Warner by the Nullsoft folks.

I think that the fact that AOL is allowing Nullsoft to portray themselves
as "nihilistic media terrorists", and that this proclamation has only
emerged in the wake of damage control after the GNUtella release, is more
than just a little contrived.

-Ian.

604.306.3615 http://ian.cafe.net