Revenge of the Bigcos?

From: MarkH@i2.co.uk
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 09:14:33 PDT

[cross-post from magi-discuss at Greg's suggestion
 please add FoRK@agilic.com to FoRK - thanks, mark]

wish i had time to read and reply to this more fully, but in the absence of
more time i'll pitch in with some of the problems that persist for bigcos,
or more generally, for "oldcos" big or small...

bigcos may think they have untouchable revenue streams, and that they can
fatten margins by plugging in e-smoothed distribution, but this is not as
easy as it sounds. firstly, their existing revenues are based on old
distribution networks that both feed and hold them back. along comes
e-competitor without legacy distributors, retailers and support systems that
need fat margins to exist and is stealing their business. ouch.

so oldco decides to ape e-competitor by setting up e-bigco and amputate the
hand that feeds them. in fact, e-bigco is even more of a competitor than
e-competitor to their own comfy margins and screamingly unhappy partners,
distributors and retailers. it is not easy to maintain sales from the legacy
distribution system while replacing it with something else.

to set up e-bigco is more than tweaking the old business and lubricating it
with internet snake oil. it requires that they shift from a high margin
business to a low margin business. many companies don't realise that this is
imperitive - and so make do with an online brochure, take weeks to respond
to online enquiries etc etc - at least here in the UK! the surveys are
astounding. at least not until they are already feeling the lash of
e-competitor cutting into their exising business. by which time they have
put themselves and their risk averse investors in a, well, risky situation.

obviously their are businesses which e-competitor can't easily get at for
one reason or another. there are things that don't transfer well. i thought
cars was one, but here in europe that is now being tested too, and as
e-consumerism becomes more established (and accepted by the consumer) more
things will be e-amenable - so bigcos definitely need to look out. just cos
.com valuations are less fantasticly over the top than they were at the end
of 1999 should not be a source of comfort for bigcos. of course they can
make the most of this in their pr, but if they believe it themselves they
are on dangerous ground.

the era of anyidea.com having money thrown at without reason has passed,
probably forever, but the potential for newbutsound.com to rip the market
from under a bigco (or in reality - from any oldco big or small) has not
disappeared.

mark

--
Agile HTML Editor